We just received word about an amazing opportunity now available with the Massachusetts Developmental Disabilities Council.Here is their important announcement! [/su_note]
The Massachusetts Developmental Disabilities Council is looking for a few good advocates. We are seeking individuals with developmental disabilities and family members with advocacy experience who may have an interest in serving on the Council.
The Council is funded by the federal government to help people with developmental disabilities have opportunities to lead successful lives in their communities; by supporting inclusive education, greater employment opportunities, and the right to make choices about where, with whom and how they live.
We do this by:
- Bringing individuals with developmental disabilities and their families together with policy makers so that they can advocate on their own behalf.
- Advising the Governor and state agencies about the needs of individuals with developmental disabilities, and the impact of state-level policies on their lives.
- Promoting close working relationships among and between public and private service providers.
- Increasing public awareness of issues affecting individuals with developmental disabilities.
Some key roles and responsibilities of members include:
- Attending all council meetings. Meetings are held 3-4 times per year.
- Participating on at least one Council committee.
- You can also represent the Council on outside committees, task forces and advisory groups.
By becoming a Member, you get the opportunity to:
- Meet and network with other advocates
- Advocate for developmental disabilities issues directly with policy makers and legislators
- Share your experiences, ideas, and concerns regarding matters affecting individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Pursue your advocacy interests and become more educated in disability issues and advocacy skills
- Represent the Council on external committees, task forces and advisory groups
- Attend or speak at conferences, legislative hearings, public policy forums
- Serve as a resource within your family, friends and the community
Here’s the link to learn more and apply: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/become-a-member-of-the-ma-developmental-disabilities-council