Creating Your Family Portfolio – February/March 2021 Session [Evening]
Join MassFamilies (formerly Massachusetts Families Organizing for Change) and Multicultural Community Services for a free interactive multi-session training designed to help families develop a vision for a good life by considering the following:
1.) WHAT we need to know and DO to achieve the GOAL of a Good Life
2.) WHERE do we FIND and HOW do we DEVELOP supports
3.) WHAT it will TAKE to live the life we WANT to live
This training will be organized into 3 bi-weekly sessions with the opportunity to “drop-in” the alternate week for additional support. These sessions are appropriate for family members of people with disabilities and the professionals who serve them and will convene via. Zoom.
This training will help families organize their ideas, vision, and goals for their current life situation and their future life, concentrating on building a life of inclusion and productivity. Families will be introduced to a user-friendly framework and visual tools to help present and future problem solving, navigating systems, and advocating for support.
Upon completion of the training, participants will have:
1.) Completed a family perspective portfolio
2.) Explored and developed initiative and family leadership skills
3.) Developed connections with other families/peers
Session Dates and Times
Feb./March Session: February 24th, March 10th, and March 24th
April/ May Session: April 14th, April 28th, and May 12th
May/June Session: May 26th, June 9th, and June 23rd
Each Session will be offered as a lunch and learn and an evening session. Please choose your preferred time.
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Each Working Group session will introduce a foundational concept from Charting the Life Course.
The University of Missouri, Kansas City, created the Charting the Life Course (CtLC) framework, Kansas City to help individuals and families of all abilities and all ages develop a vision for a good life, think about what they need to know and do, identify how to find or develop supports, and discover what it takes to live the lives they want to live. Participants will have a completed Portfolio by the end of this course.
SESSION ONE: OPENING SESSION
– Intro to CTLC, Family Perspective & Building a Trajectory
– CTLC review – guiding principles, core beliefs, training goals & outcomes
– Answer the question “Why CTLC?
– Introduce Family Perspective profile
– Discuss concept around and instructions for building a Trajectory
– Discuss life stages and life domains as we think about what our trajectories will focus on and include
* 1:1 Drop-In Q&A date: To be arranged by participants and facilitators
SESSION TWO: INTEGRATED SUPPORT STAR
– Discuss Trajectory exercises: outcomes, thoughts, questions, peer support, and interaction
– Discuss concept and ideas around the Integrated Support Star
– Brainstorm expected and out of the box ideas and solutions based on the Star
*1:1 Drop-In Q&A date: To be arranged by participants and facilitators
SESSION THREE: PORTFOLIO APPLICATIONS & WRAP UP
– Discuss and share completed Portfolios
– Discuss how to use the Portfolios in IEP’s, ISP’s, and Job Placement
– Discuss how to use the tools in general life practice
*Optional 1:1 follow up Drop-In date: To be arranged by participants and facilitators
CtLC Ambassadors (our very own MassFamilies Regional Coordinators from the Central, West, and Southeast) will assist with group calls, and 1:1 follow up sessions.
Interpretation and additional supports as needed /requested by families – large print? Internet access?
Course materials provided: Portfolio Tools
Upon registration and acceptance, you will receive the Zoom Log-In information through Email.